Aarhus University Seal / Aarhus Universitets segl

For future students (International Programmes)

What are the requirements for admission?

  1. You must be in your third/final year of your bachelor engineering studies or at a similar educational level.  
  2. There must be an exchange agreement covering the relevant subject area between Aarhus University, Aarhus School of Engineering and your home university.
  3. ­You are required to have English language qualifications comparable to CEFR C1, TOEFL IBT 83, IELTS 6.5. Please read the guidelines for the English Language requirements here. The language documentation must be uploaded with your online application.
  4. You must upload an official transcript of records with your online application. The transcript of records must be in English and show all the former passed grades of your bachelor studies.
  5. If applying for the International Semester in Urban Water (Wastewater Engineering or Water Supply Engineering), you must have passed a basic course in Hydraulics/Geology.
  6. If applying for the International Semester in Mechanical Design you must have passed basic courses in Thermodynamics and Mechanics of Materials. 
  7. If applying for the International Semester in Software Engineering you must have basic electronics skills and passed intermediate courses in object-oriented programming concepts (such as encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism) in C++, C#, Java or similar OO-language.

Each application will be evaluated individually according to the requirements above, including an assessment of your general academic level and grades. The evaluation process secures the quality of the programmes and in the best interest of the student. Therefore, we reserve the right to reject an application, if we evaluate that the requirements are not fulfilled.

Maximum intake for Urban Water: 20 students (per semester)

Maximum intake for Mechanical Design: 20 students

Maximum intake for Software Engineering: 10 students

Is there a Christmas break?

Read more in the Academic Calender

What is the tuition fee?

As an exchange student you have been nominated by your home university to come to Aarhus University on exchange. You do not pay tuition fee to Aarhus University. However, please note that all students have to pay for textbooks and other materials in connection with their studies.

Do you grant degrees?

At the School of Engineering, we do not grant degrees to international students studying here for 1 or 2 semesters. The students earn ECTS-credits, which they transfer to their home universities, from which they will obtain degrees. Our Studies Office issues transcript of records to the students.

Can I transfer my credits to your university?

You cannot transfer your credits to our School of Engineering as it is your home university which is the degree-granting body. The credits you earn here will be transferred to your home university.

What courses do you offer in English?

The School of Engineering offers internationale semester packages Find the programmes here

What is the Bachelor's Project?

You can read about the bachelor's project at: "The Bachelor's Project"

Can I apply for a scholarship?

The School of Engineering is not able to support foreign students financially. 

What are the living expenses in Denmark?

Living expenses for the average student in Aarhus are estimated at DKK 5,000 per month, including travel expenses (2016). However, expenses vary depending on your own spending habits and your living situation.

The prices of housing, food, transport and leisure activities are relatively high in Denmark in comparison with many other countries. However, salaries are also relatively high, and many services such as medical treatment and schools are paid for via taxes and the Danish welfare system.

You can keep expenses down by borrowing school books from the library, cooking your own meals, shopping at discount supermarkets and looking out for sales and student deals. 

Can I study for a Master degree?

Yes, Aarhus University offers Master degree programmes. Read further about the programmes here

You can read about AU Engineering here

Does the School of Engineering require students to have health insurance?

The Danish health insurance covers the students' medical consultation and hospitalization, but you must be insured from you home country the first six weeks of your stay until you receive the Danish social security card.

Language Requirements

Applicants at the Faculty Technical Sciences are required to have English language qualifications

Is there a student organisation that can help the incoming students?

Aarhus University has a Mentor System, where each foreign exchange student is assigned a Mentor, a Danish student who will meet you in Aarhus and show you around. In addition, there is Studenterhus Aarhus, where foreign students can meet and get help if needed.

How do I get a Student Card?

You will receive your student card upon arrival.

Where can I buy a bike and what about sports?

Where can I buy a cheap bike?
You can ask your Mentor to help you buy a second hand bike at a police auction. 

Where can I do sports?
Studenterhus Aarhus will be able to help you at www.studenterhusaarhus.dk