The ability to manipulate matter at the molecular and atomic scale gives new possibilities to design completely new materials with superior characteristics (stronger, lighter, smoother, more flexible, heat-resistant, …… ) and even new characteristics not yet seen in nature today.
The current interests include:
- Composite materials, coatings, adhesives and bonding technologies, thin film systems, biomaterials, multi-functional materials and new meta-materials (nano-engineering).
- Simulation tools for material and structural behavior.
- Production and characterisation of new and improved materials.
- Modeling and verification of failure mechanisms in new materials.
- Strengths of new materials, incl. metal alloys.
- Machining technologies for advanced materials.
- Additive and Hybrid Manufacturing